Lee is an IT professional with a passion for new media, technology and podcasting. With around 12 years of professional IT experience and a lifetime of “unprofessional”, he's had his hand in most things.
He is a big consumer of podcasts; listening to around 10 hours of podcasts during his commute to and from his day job working as an IT Support and Networks Manager each week.
Since moving house, he wanted to listen to some podcasts related to the area in which he lives, and quickly discovered that there weren't any. Not to be put off, he decided to create one off the back of a blog that he'd set up prior to moving to the area.
And thus, This is Rammy was born, a podcast and website for Ramsbottom, a town in the North West of England, around 12 miles north of Manchester city centre. A town with plenty of history, a working steam train and a vibrant foodies nightlife.
[bctt tweet=”#Podcasts remove that barrier to entry; you can make a podcast about anything. – @lee_ball”]
Top Quotes from Lee Ball
- “Since I listened to your interview with Phil Pallen and about his book, the Shut up and Tweet book… I’ve basically been using his techniques to grow all my Twitter followers.”
- “If I wasn’t listening to that show or that show wasn’t available, I probably wouldn’t have started This is Rammy.” [on Daniel J. Lewis' The Audacity to Podcast]
- “Never let them finish with a yes or no answer.” [on being an interviewer]
- “It's so key to put an image in Twitter… if you don’t put an image in there then more often than not, I've found that they don’t engage with the tweets… It helps to stand out against the crowd.”
- “Podcasts remove that barrier to entry; you can make a podcast about anything.”
- “There’s definitely a good community feel about the place and the podcast is my way to contribute to that and try and give back.” [on Ramsbottom and his podcast This is Rammy]
- “It’s not that often that you get the chance to meet people face to face that are doing the same things as you.” [on attending the New Media Europe conference]
- Phil Pallen's Shut Up and Tweet! book
- Daniel J. Lewis' The Audacity to Podcast
- Audio Production Show
- [spp-timestamp time=”00:28″] – Host Mike Russell introduces and welcomes the episode's guest, Lee Ball
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:34″] – Lee shares why he is passionate about Ramsbottom
- [spp-timestamp time=”02:23″] – How Lee uses new media for his own personal brand and business
- [spp-timestamp time=”02:46″] – On Phil Pallen’s Shut Up and Tweet book to grow his followers
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:30″] – Taking on Mike’s tips on using YouCanBook.Me
- [spp-timestamp time=”04:38″] – Lee’s top 3 podcasts and blogs
- [spp-timestamp time=”05:40″] – On looking for more British podcasters rather than American podcasters
- [spp-timestamp time=”06:51″] – Getting interview tips from listening to the Audio Production Show’s Kyran Mountain
- [spp-timestamp time=”07:2″]7 – Lee asks Mike about finding podcast interviewees
- [spp-timestamp time=”09:43″] – New media tools that Lee couldn’t live without
- [spp-timestamp time=”09:55″] – Using Buffer to increase audience engagement for This is Rammy
- [spp-timestamp time=”11:27″] – On using images on Twitter
- [spp-timestamp time=”12:31″] – Twitter as a way to connect with people in his local area
- [spp-timestamp time=”12:45″] – Lee shares how he uses Tweepi
- [spp-timestamp time=”13:41″] – Connecting with influencers
- [spp-timestamp time=”15:18″] – Lee’s top Ramsbottom recommendations
- [spp-timestamp time=”17:13″] – Lee talks about the direction that his podcast, This is Rammy, will go in
- [spp-timestamp time=”19:07″] – On using and being part of a Facebook group
- [spp-timestamp time=”20:33″] – What made Lee decide to attend the New Media Europe conference
- [spp-timestamp time=”21:45″] – When Lee first heard about the New Media Europe conference
- [spp-timestamp time=”22:17″] – Speakers at the New Media Europe conference that Lee is looking forward to meeting
- [spp-timestamp time=”23:31″] – Where to find Lee online
- [spp-timestamp time=”23:59″] – Mike thanks Lee and wraps up the episode
Listen to more from Lee Ball!
- Visit ThisIsRammy.co.uk
- Twitter – @ThisIsRammySite
- Facebook – ThisIsRammy
- Email lee(at)thisisrammy.co.uk
Don't miss the next episode as Mike talks to Tim Lewis about self-publishing.
Get a discount to the New Media Europe conference just by listening until the end of the show!