Harmony Eichsteadt is a startup coach, author, speaker and life-long community organiser. She’s used the power of community to start a high school walkout, create a political training conference for young women, build a business as a high-end dating coach, promote an undiscovered artist, launch a country-wide poetry tour and, most recently, to beat cancer.
She has received multiple awards for her writing, among them the 2010 Lora Romero Memorial Award in Interdisciplinary Research in Race, Ethnicity, and Gender and the 2014 Bawdy Storytelling Grand Slam Championship. She has taught people of all ages about many different topics, including creative writing, gender, sexuality, dating, chronic illness and community organising.
Harmony will be speaking at the New Media Europe conference. Her session is Don’t Just Build An Audience, Build A Community.
[bctt tweet=”The most important #newmedia tool is the oldest media tool… face to face. – @justlikeHarmony”]
Top Quotes from Harmony:
- “When we come together we can produce things that are far, far greater than the sum of the parts.” [on community building]
- “The first thing is you got to think about is why do you want to find those people?… What’s the purpose here? What is the way you can serve that community?” [on finding people to build a community]
- “I love every new app that comes out.”
- “I think it’s important for folks to not get caught up in the technology and forget the people part of things.”
- “The most important new media tool is the oldest media tool, which is face to face.”
- “It was obvious that this was gonna be a really exciting gathering of folks.”
- “That’s probably the way I make most decisions… where are there gonna be awesome people?” [on deciding to attend NMEU]
- The Good Life Project by Jonathan Fields
- Dances with Fat by Ragen Chastain
- [spp-timestamp time=”00:28″] – Host Mike Russell introduces and welcomes the episode’s guest and New Media Europe conference speaker, Harmony Eichsteadt
- [spp-timestamp time=”02:09″] – Harmony talks about the importance of community building
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:03″] – How she uses new media for her personal brand, business and community building
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:35″] – Harmony reveals her favourite online media
- [spp-timestamp time=”04:14″] – The top 3 blogs and podcasts that Harmony listens to right now
- [spp-timestamp time=”06:27″] – Harmony gives some startup tips on community building
- [spp-timestamp time=”08:59″] – Harmony talks about her nomadic lifestyle
- [spp-timestamp time=”10:56″] – New media tools that Harmony cannot live without
- [spp-timestamp time=”11:59″] – Harmony talks about how NationBuilder works
- [spp-timestamp time=”13:31″] – Why Harmony decided to come to New Media Europe as a speaker
- [spp-timestamp time=”15:39″] – People that Harmony is looking forward to seeing or hearing speak at the conference
- [spp-timestamp time=”16:51″] – Harmony’s drink of choice
- [spp-timestamp time=”18:18″] – Where to find Harmony online
- [spp-timestamp time=”18:34″] – Mike thanks Harmony and wraps up the show
Connect with Harmony!
Jelle Derckx joins us in the next episode. Don’t miss the New Media Europe conference this September! Listen to the end of the show to get an exclusive coupon for discounted registration.